Re: Samsung ML-1915 printer

On Mon 27 Mar 2017 at 19:57:01 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Mon 27 Mar 2017 at 18:38:25 +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
> > Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
> >
> > > The HOWTO looks fine for 2010. In 2017 CUPS has changed but, more
> > > importantly for this thread and its sister one at
> > >
> > >  https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/03/msg00100.html ,
> > >
> > > Samsung has made changes to its Unified Linux Driver package.
> > >
> > > rastertosamsungspl doesn't exist anymore. It is now rastertospl; the
> > > PPDS are altered to reflect this.
> > >
> > > It is a good object lesson in not using outdated proprietry software.
> >
> > >From Samsung web site I downloaded the latest version of Unified Linux Driver
> > package and tried to use rastertospl in place of rastertosamsungspl, but it
> > won't work either...  I also accordingly changed the ppd file...  But, isn't it
> > strange that on another machine of mine, witht new version of CUPS, the printer
> > works with the old Samsung files?
>
> Curious indeed. rastertospl has to be executable and owned by root.
>
>  chown root.root rastertospl

I give in! Your ULD package doesn't work for you on unstable. Let us see
how mine goes on.

1. Go to http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/ML-1910/SEE and download
   uld_v1.00.06.tar.gz.

2. Decompress and unpack the file with 'tar zvxf uld_v1.00.06.tar.gz'.

3. cp uld/i386/rastertospl /usr/lib/cups/filter/.

4. chown root.root /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl.

5. cp uld/noarch/share/ppd/Samsung_ML-191x_Series.ppd /usr/share/ppd/custom/.

6. lpinfo -m | grep ML-191x.

7. lpadmin -p ML191x -v file:/dev/null -E -m lsb/usr/custom/Samsung_ML-191x_Series.ppd.

The last five steps are done as root.

Now (as root again)

8. cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/ppd/ML192x.ppd -e -m printer/foo message.txt > out.prn 2>log.

log and out.prn have been compressed and attached to this mail.
Uncompress with gunzip. Note that the log shows all filters being run
successfully. As far as I am concerned, cupsd and the filtering system
have worked well. message.txt contains a secret message for you.

out.prn is a file which can be sent directly to the Samsung printer.
But I haven't got such a printer, you say. Ah, but *you* have. So do

 cat out.prn > /dev/usb/lp0

You can now reveal the message to everyone.

An invitation: any of the hundreds of list readers with a USB connected
Samsung printer which accepts SPL can have fun trying to print the file
too.

--
Brian.