Re: DD bs=4M option on USB mem-stick creates false format

On 03/27/2017 04:45 AM, kAt wrote:
David Christensen:
Understand that many memstick images change once they have been
booted, so you must checksum them immediately after burning.
(Thankfully, debian-8.7.1-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso doesn't, so I can verify
my USB flash drive at any time.)

I have done this 3 times bs=4M bs=1M and without a bs= tag, no difference!

Without seeing the command and output, we cannot check it. But, if you're happy with the image on the USB flash drive, then okay.

Once you are confident your USB flash drive has a good image, try
booting it in your newest x86 computer.  If that fails, try other x86
computers.  If none of them boot, contact your vendor.

No, the image works, it has a problem bringing up the full graphical
part on a an old pc with very little RAM and video memory on its 586
option (it has both a 64 and 32b live parts) and are both jessie based.
The debian 32bit 8,7,1 works fine on the sane machine

Okay.

1.  Burn the ISO image to optical media and boot that.

Tough luck, the one machine has no such thing, the ill box has its cd
player jammed shut with a CD in it from 13 years ago that plays fine on
live jessie

Many optical drives have a small hole in the front door that you can insert an unbent paper clip into to manually open the drawer.

2.  Download a memstick.img file that is meant to be burned to a USB
drive, burn it to a USB drive, and boot that.  (If your vendor doesn't
offer such, you might need to find a different tool.)

Again the question is not so much at the vendor's magic system but why
would a 0.6G image rent the rest of the disk useless for copying stuff
in and out, which I have done with many live systems.

isohybrid images have non-standard on-disk data structures to get them to boot when burned to CD and when burned to USB; basically, they are hacks that "mostly work". You're not going to get meaningful results with gparted, fdisk, parted, or the others.

David