Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

Do you have access to ethernet port from your machine?

If so, Debian installer *should* (in most cases) work with that until you install what you need to get WiFi working. In fact, that is how most of my recent Debian installs went...

On 03/16/2017 01:45, Dean Valentine wrote:
I don't have debian installed on my computer yet, nor can I access the internet with it (because my wifi is down) so i don't understand how I would install the non-free package?

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 2:01 AM, Tim Ye <tim.ye0@aliyun.com> wrote:
Hi,

On 2017-03-15 07:57+0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> On 15 March 2017 at 06:57, Dean Valentine <deanvalentine@lhsla.org> wrote:
>
> > I have installed three operating systems on this computer: Linux Mint,
> > Ubuntu, and Arch Linux. None of them had any problems detecting and using
> > my "Network Manager: Qualcomm Atheros 003e", and it shows up on lspci, but
> > when the Debian graphic installer attempts to do this, it fails and tells
> > me "No Ethernet Card" detected. I've attempted to use the ISO you've
> > provided for me with propryetary firmware bundled into it here:
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.7.1/amd64/iso-cd/, but that
> > couldn't find it either. It's unusual because I see (or at least I think I
> > see) my drivers listed, and when i select them manually
> >
> > What's going on? How do I get this to work? Obviously there are linux
> > drivers out there for Debian to use with my machine, they're just not in
> > Debian's isos for some reason.
> >
> > Thank you for your time. I love your work.
> >

> There is a package "firmware-atheros" .

You may want to add 'non-free' in your 'source.list' file.  My
'/etc/apt/sources.list' looks like this:

    deb http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie main non-free
    deb-src http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie main non-free

    deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main non-free

    # jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
    deb http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie-updates main non-free
    deb-src http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie-updates main non-free

Reference:

http://serverfault.com/questions/240920/how-do-i-enable-non-free-packages-on-debian

> If I were you i would install it.  Maybe that will solve your problem.
>
> Regards
> Johann
>

> --
> Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
> my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)

Thanks,

- Tim