Re: confusion in /etc/network/interfaces

>> "ifconfig" can not handle multiple IPv4 addresses on one interface
>and
>> needs this kind of crutch.
>>
>> The far more modern command "ip" has no such limitations.
>
>I've found my own brain to have a similar limitation, and find
>interface
>aliases useful for clarity even when I have ip(8) available.

OTOH, it is important to be aware of the addresses being on the same interface, e.g. when it comes to firewall rules and ARP and the like. There are a few pitfalls in having more than one address on one interface which need to be taken into account. So I kind of like iproute2 making this clearer.

-nik