Re: No sound

On 2/28/17, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please help with no sound issue.  I installed the following packages:
>
>  alsa-oss alsa-tools alsa-tools-gui alsa-utils alsamixergui
> gstreamer1.0-alsa
>  libalsaplayer0 libasound2 libasound2-data libasound2-dev
> libasound2-plugins
>  libsox-fmt-alsa python-alsaaudio
>
> , then ran alsamixer and unmuted all volumes, but still:

Hi, Rodolpho and All :)

I've repeatedly lost sound myself the last year so'ish. For me, it
started when there was a change in Pulseaudio's relationship in Xfce4
somehow.

Sound would occasionally work on new installs (debootstrap) but would
then fail soon after. I THINK those fails came immediately after mass
day-to-day upgrades in Sid Unstable. I've done all kinds of playing
with anything I could find sound related via "apt-cache search" and
repeatedly had fail after fail after... heartbreaking... fail.

About a month ago, I HAD to get it working to process some important
video sound bytes so I really dug in about trying to find something. I
simultaneously came across aumix via "apt-cache search" while aumix
was receiving a couple mentions on this list in sound related threads.

I installed "aumix", and it worked.... once. And only once.

The first time the interface came up, it had one column that was
turned off. I bumped it up and miraculously had sound. On the next
reboot, no sound over and over.

Because aumix worked that one time when nothing had for pushing close
to a year, I went back in with aumix as a search keyword. I found
aumix-gtk and so tried installing that, *too*.. That still brings up
an extremely small interface, but it has more columns.

ONE OF THOSE COLUMNS... is something called Pcm2. That one is ALWAYS
at zero after reboots. I bump that over to 100.... and have sound
every time now.

EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!

Yayhoo!!!!!

Maybe addressing that "Pcm2" setting in the other various favored
sound [controllers] will slow down sound problems?

If anyone uses aumix and additionally also installs that aumix-gtk,
the terminal command is still just the "aumix".

Its developers are my #Heros! #TrueStory! It's CRUCIAL that my sound
work right now, and that was the avenue that worked to date... on this
particular... for now anyway.

Hope that helps someone.. *grin*

Cindy :)

--