Re: The same environment variables everywhere

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> I would like to hear some ideas on how to set various environment
>>> variables (PATH, MANPATH, EDITOR etc.) in one place that would make them
>>> effective everywhere. My "everywhere" means:
>>> - X session started through lightdm and ~/.xsession script
>>> - Linux console login (bash)
>>> - user's systemd services
>> Put them into /etc/environment.
>
> I haven't re-tried recently, but last time:
> - It never worked for me.
> - It can't hold user-specific settings.
> - It can't *compute* a setting.
>

>         Stefan

IMO there is a good reason for so many places where you can put variables.
In fact it is not good to put X related variables in a non X session -
right?!
So I do distinguish between  settings for X session and for not X session -
at least two places for the variables.
Further more there are global and user specific ... etc

regards