Re: good LDAP resources

LDAP can be very difficult to learn if you are just starting out with it, but also very powerful. There may be other faster solutions then a manual setup, but I found that I learned the most by doing all of it manually. On Red Hat based systems, I believe their IPA solution is quite good. It uses LDAP and Kerberos and does most of the leg work for you. I have no idea if any of that is compatible with Debian based systems (I don't think it is).

Anyway here are a lot of the resources I used when learning, configuring, and setting up my authentication system:

There's plenty more out there as well. If you want I can send you my own setup guide, which I built over the years from all these resources (and probably many more I never recorded), just keep in mind that doc is specific to myself and my business and it involves setting up OpenLDAP not just for authentication but for almost anything. I also don't use OpenLDAP for authentication only authorization. I use MIT Kerberos for auth (which uses OpenLDAP as its backend).

To be more specific to your question of "good resources" I would say as a subset of all the links above the below are the best ones to start with:

http://debian-handbook.info/browse/wheezy/sect.ldap-directory.html
help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenLDAPServer
http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/

As one last suggestion/comment/remark, I would suggest setting up OpenLDAP as your implementation of LDAP and would use PPolicy to authn/authz over TLS. If you don't want to send passwords over the wire then use Kerberos for the authentication component.

Thanks,
Joshua Schaeffer