Re: how to compute predictable network interface names?

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017, at 10:16, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> On 02/16/2017 12:47 PM, Christian Seiler wrote:
> >
> > On a system with predictable names running? Or on a system
> > pre-upgrade?
> >

> Its more "pre-installation". I boot a USB stick and run
> my own installer (using debootstrap or creating a clone).
> The NIC name is needed to setup /etc/network/interfaces.
> I know how the interfaces are named using the old scheme,
> but the predictable names are hard to guess.

Debian used to assign network devices based on MAC address.
If you want to continue doing something like that, use the
kernel boot parameter

   net.ifnames=0

and create your own udev rule.  For example:

   /etc/udev/rules.d/76-netnames.rules:

   # Create custom network interface names based on MAC address.
   SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:11:25:86:61:87", NAME="net0"

This rule will assign the Ethernet adapter with MAC address 00:11:25:86:61:87
the interface name net0.  Reference the interface by this name in
/etc/network/interfaces.

I hope this helps.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@fastmail.com>