Re: Fwd: Re: Advice / recommendations on Inexpensive Managed Ethernet Switches

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Basically anything that can run Debian and has two suitable
>> ethernet ports will do. An old laptop? One of the shiny little
>> Raspberry-Pi style devices? (Probably not the Pi itself; it only
>> has one ethernet port.)
>
> I use a BananaPi for that.  It has 3 network interfaces:
> - the ethernet one, which I use on the DSL side.
> - the wifi (I used an external USB dongle for that, for various reasons).
> - the USB-OTG which I use to connect my main desktop (effective
>   bandwidth on this one is a bit more than 10MB/s, so slower than
>   a gigabit ethernet but plenty for my needs).
> The reason why I like those critters:
> - supports SATA.
> - very low power consumption (e.g. I measured 5W at the "mains",
>   including a 2TB HDD spinning).
> - runs stock Debian, including stock kernel, so I don't have to worry
>   about lack of security fixes down the road.
> So I use them (one at home, on at the office) as router-plus-NAS,
> running things like OpenVPN, Squid, OwnCloud, MusicPD, ...
> Having a full Debian system means that I can trivially install pretty
> much anything that I might need, using the same old tools I already know
> and love.
>

>         Stefan

A Ubiquiti Networks ER-X (or ER-X-SFP) perhaps?  5 ports that can be set
up in any combination of routed / switched ports that you want (from
5rtr/0sw to 0rtr/5sw).

the base system is Debian Wheezy, with EdgeOS (a vyatta 6.x fork)
running on top.

Granted, they're a fair bit more limited than the RPi in terms of CPU /
RAM / "permanent" storage though.

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947