Re: Using source packages to bring some programs up to latest version

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 04:07:48PM -0500, David Niklas wrote:
> What I'm trying to do is to avoid running pieces unstable or testing
> software (except for the package I asked for (such as nano)), while
> still having a few newer packages.

The best way to achieve this is to use backports, if one exists for the
packages you are interested in.

Failing that, it's possible that the version of the package in testing or
unstable can be installed on your stable system without pulling in any (or too
many) dependencies from outside stable. You need to add testing (and/or
unstable) sources to Apt's sources.list *and* set up pinning so that Apt always
prefers packages from stable over anything else. Then, you can do something
like
	apt-get install -t testing somepackage
or
	apt-get install somepackage=desired-version

Inspect the list of packages that it wants to pull in, and their versions
(if you see that in the apt pre-run output, I can't remember) and make a
judgement call as to whether you're happy to install them.

Finally, if the above isn't satisfactory, you can attempt to build the newer
version from source. (I will leave details of that to another email)

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.