Re: stretch apt-get -u dist-upgrade does not result in sid

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 00:10:00 -0500
Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I changed sources.list to point only to sid, then apt-get clean, then
> apt-get update, apt-get -u dist-upgrade. /etc/debian_version
> and /etc/issue still say I have 9.0. Can held back non-essential
> packages stonewall a dist-upgrade? mc and mc-lang 4.8.17 have been
> held back by me manually because 4.8.18 is broken. Is this why I
> don't seem to have sid?

What is the boot console banner?

Unstable is always named as "<testing>/sid", even with a minimal
stable installation followed by immediate upgrade to unstable. The
version number will always be that of testing, unstable doesn't have
its own number.

Also try a grep for distro in /var/log/messages. There should be a
90linux-distro: result: line. But if the sources.list contains only
unstable or sid, that's what you will get. Once you've done an update,
apt doesn't know about the testing repositories any more.

Until the freeze, most packages will be the same in sid as in testing,
generally anything that survives without major breakage in sid for
about ten days gets moved on. Did you get a larger than normal upgrade
when you did the dist-upgrade? Make an upgrade now and note any changed
version: check with the Debian packages search to see which
distribution the new one comes from.

--
Joe