Re: Migrate Virtualbox

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 01:00:11PM +0000, Darac Marjal wrote:

> I have recently gone down this path myself. I chose qemu+kvm as my
> virtualisation platform of choice, as it seems the most 'natively Linux'
> option (that is, QEMU is FOSS and KVM is in the kernel, so no third-party
> bits needed).

Thanks very much Hans, Georgi, Darac and Teemu for the comprehensive,
and super-quick help! This list rocks!

Sounds like the only thing that's less-than-perfect is the shared
folders with the host, but I'll look into KVM / QEMU's documentation for
what's possible for that. A Samba server feels sub-optimal to me (bad
experiences with Samba at work, albeit I don't need a lot of speed for
this use case here) but if that's the best option there is, it's doable.

Everything else looks perfect. Thanks Darac in particular for the
step-by-step instructions on migrating the disks, and Teemu for pointing
out I will need to get the new machines as close in spec as possible to
the old ones so Windows doesn't barf. (Guests are Windows 7)

Much appreciated guys

Mark