Re: Is Me-TV killing mainboards?

Hi!
> Are you watching TV with the computer sitting on your lap or on bed sheets
> or some other fabric which could obstruct the fan inlet grills?

No, of course not. Cooling air can flow unhindered.
> It may be possible that air flow isn't sufficient to cool the processor down
> when you watch TV but is good when the computer is sitting flat on a table.

So it is. I am using a special table for notebooks.

> Some Intel processors are equipped with a built-in sensor that shut the
> processor down when it overheats. It is a hardware feature. It can't be
> disabled by software.

Yes, that is, what I am thinking of. However, overheating should appear in the
logs.

> The Intel N270 is such a processor. It is supposed to reduce its power when
> it overheats. On the other hand, AMD processors used to fry when they were
> not properly cooled. I don't know if they are protected now.
>
> Modern graphic cards are also expected to have some overheating protection
> too.

In this case, the N270 has a built in I945 graphics chip.

> So, even though there should be some sort of hardware protection, a
> overheating component is definitely where I direct my suspicions when
> someone says a laptop behave erratically when watching TV.

Yes, but if so, shouldn't the fan not cool the hardware? But somehow it does
not, and only if me-tv is running. That is the weired thing. At other
applications everything worked fine. I suspect me-tv to block something, but I
have no prove.

I think, the community should watch this, maybe. Of course, maybe I am wrong
and the effect is just mischance. Who knows....

> Frederic

Best

Hans