Re: Some x-terminals do not compose unicode characters

Alessandro T. wrote:

> Isn't localization set by locale?
>
> Anyway I did:
> $ export | grep LC
> <nothing>
>
> $ locale
> LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
> LANGUAGE=
> LC_CTYPE="it_IT.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="it_IT.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="it_IT.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="it_IT.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="it_IT.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="it_IT.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="it_IT.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="it_IT.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="it_IT.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="it_IT.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="it_IT.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="it_IT.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=

yes, this is good

now check for tty

cat /etc/default/console-setup
# CONFIGURATION FILE FOR SETUPCON

# Consult the console-setup(5) manual page.

ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]"

CHARMAP="UTF-8"

CODESET="guess"
FONTFACE="Fixed"
FONTSIZE="8x16"

VIDEOMODE=

# The following is an example how to use a braille font
# FONT='lat9w-08.psf.gz brl-8x8.psf'

and for vtty

In addition to LANG/LC_ALL, stty iutf8 is needed to tell the terminal what
to do, you might need setfont then to load a useful font and mapping. If
you still have problems check your kernel config for CONFIG_NLS_xx
settings, you may need to modprobe nls_utf8 if it doesn't load
automatically (I think this is only required for Unicode filenames though).

Some linux distributions provide unicode_start and unicode_stop scripts to
automate this.

If less causes problems it may require the environment variable LESSCHARSET
to be set (or unset if it's wrong).

Markus Kuhn's UTF-8 and Unicode FAQ for Unix/Linux is invaluable.
http://superuser.com/questions/556993/how-to-display-unicode-in-a-linux-virtual-terminal

I use setxkbmap in vtty and loadkeys on a console (tty)

I hope this helps you further