Update: My current intentRe: Advice / recommendations on Inexpensive Managed Ethernet Switches

I am the OP, I want to thank everyone for their comments.

I think I've decided to buy an inexpensive router instead of a switch, and, in
fact, I think I'll go with a Ubiquiti ER-X 256MB Storage 5 Gigabit RJ45 ports.
My reasoning includes considering these points:

   * There is at least a question about a GPL issue / violation.  IIUC, this
has to do with a program named uboot, for which, at least at one time,
Ubiquiti may not have provided the modified source code.  The references that I
could find online dated from 2012 through about 2015 (668 days from yesterday
;-), and it seems that Ubiquiti, at least, seems to think they are now in
compliance.  (see https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9331512)

   * The router is (as, iirc, Dan Weber mentioned) more featureful (than a
smart switch), and, apparently I'll be able to both measure bandwidth / traffic
to each device on my LAN (from one central location), and then consider
blocking some of that traffic should I determine that it is superfluous in some
way.

   * The device amounts to a small Linux (in fact, Debian) based box, with,
iirc, a dual core processor, 256 MB each of RAM and NAND, and 5 Ethernet
ports.  I figure I can do some playing with this to learn more modern
networking memes.  One surprise to me (which is not relevant to me at this
point, but, apparently if you get certain types of cable TV (maybe IPTV,
iirc), the ISPs either require or suggest that, if you also get Internet
service (from them??), that you create a separate VLAN(s?) for at least one of
the services.

   * The forums on the unbt site seem like a good source of help.  I found one
link that gives me a very simple setup that I can use to start, and then build
from there.  (see https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002531728-
EdgeRouter-Beginners-Guide-to-EdgeRouter, and https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-
us/categories/200321064-EdgeMAX (these are from the Help Center, not the
Forum).

Again, I welcome any further comments.

I am watching a used Ubiquiti Edgerouter ER-3 Lite and if the price stays low
enough, I may go that way.  But, the 300,000 packet/ second capability of the
ER-X should be sufficient for my needs, and probably keep up with my Earthlink
DSL link ;-)  (I'm pretty sure I won't need the 1,000,000 packet/ second
capability of the ER-3 Lite.)

I hope I don't sound like a shill for Ubiquiti.  If I do go this way, sometime
in the future I'll provide one or more updates on the status...

PS: Now I have to wonder (after this long screed) if tomas is still ROFL ;-)

PPS: Sometimes I find some of their writings ambiguous or confusing.  As a (not
completely accurate example), they use the term bridging at various times.
I've run the DSL modem in bridged mode at various times for various reasons,
but the statements I found seemed to be talking about bridging on the output
of the router, but that is not 100% clear to me.  I guess that might be one of
the things I might learn (if there is any reason to consider bridging
downstream from the smart router).

Thanks again!