Re: What file system to use?

On 02/02/17 20:58, Ken Heard wrote:
I use USB flash drives and 480 GB SanDisk portable drives for some
backups. I started by using ext4 on one of the flash drives. The next
day I tried to boot the computer, but found that the computer hung.
Only at this point did I find out that those drives are not capable of
journalling.

I use USB flash drives with ext4 for backups and have not had any problems with journalling. I have had at least one successful journal recovery, after an inadvertent disconnection before unmount. What problems did you encounter?

I optimised my ext4 backup filesystems for a small number of large files (compressed archives) with:

mkfs.ext4 -J size=4 -m 0 -T largefile4 -O "^resize_inode" /dev/sdb1
tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 -L Backup /dev/sdb1

My /etc/fstab contains:

LABEL=Backup /media/backup ext4 noatime,noauto,user,errors=remount-ro 0 0

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director