New preseeding problems

I have two problems with preseeding.
I did not have them when installing Squeeze to a Lenovo R61.
[R61 hardware problems cause purchase of T430]
I do have them installing Jessie to a Lenovo T430.

Every install now gives the same 2 failures.
1. It fails at the "detect disks" step.
   Rerunning that step succeeds *EVERY* time.
2. Very near the end I'm ask to specify a keyboard.
   My current preseed, near the beginning has

   d-i debian-installer/locale string en_US

   d-i console-keymaps-at/keymap select us

IIRC there was the same problem with the second line being
   d-i keyboard-configuration/xkb-keymap select us

Suggestions?
TIA