Re: Samba help.

On 02/01/2017 08:02 PM, R. Ramesh wrote:
    On 1/29/2017 11:25 AM, John Darrah wrote:

         On 1/29/2017 12:25 AM, R. Ramesh wrote:

             I recently upgraded my debian jesse to 8.6. All of a sudden
all samba guest access to this box stopped working. I did not
             update smb.conf file any time before or after. I vaguely
remember that there was a flash of notes flying by when samba was upgraded, but do not recall what it is. BTW, I can mount
             if I provide an actual valid user with password. Only guest
             access does not work. Linux host 3.16.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP
             Debian 3.16.36-1+deb8u2 (2016-10-19) i686 GNU/Linux

             Samba Version: 2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2

Guest access to the following share fails after the upgrade:

             [data]
                  path = /data
                  create mask = 0755
                  directory mask = 0755
                  public = yes
                  browseable = yes
                  writable = yes
                  guest ok = yes

If it is not too much trouble, please copy me your responses

             Thanks

             Ramesh

         Check to see that smb.conf was not replaced. If it was, the
         previous version will be called smb.conf.dpkg-dist or
         smb.conf.ucf-dist. You will have to compare them with your
         smb.conf file and merge any differences.

         -- john

    Also check the following in [global] settings:

    Change:

         map to guest = Bad User

    to:

          map to guest = nobody

    -- john

Thanks for your help.

I remember that apt-get asked if I wanted my smb.conf to be replaced. I said "no." Quick tkdiff between smb.conf and dist version shows that I miss these
  server role = standalone server
  map to guest = bad user
  usershare allow guests = yes

Of course, I will fix the second line and add all three and see what happens.
Ramesh

Adding the three lines with "bad user" replaced by "nobody" prevents nmbd from being restarted. It fails to restart and the syslong shows that it does not like nobody and commenting out the line allows restart of service. However I do not have guest mount permitted as before.

I tried putting a valid user instead of nobody and nmbd does not like that either. So, I am lost.

Ramesh

Actually using "map to guest = bad user" is needed for guest mount to work. I read it on samba blog as part of an error report https://samba.plus/blog/ dated (5/3/16)

So, problem solved for now (until I upgrade again :-)

Ramesh