Re: httpredir.debian.org versus deb.debian.org

On 1/31/17, Benjamin Moody <benjamin.moody@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is currently recommended as the best 'global' apt mirror URL
> for *jessie* systems?  (I.e. when setting up a virtual machine
> that might need to run unmodified from anywhere in the world?)
>
> Should I use the HTTP redirector (httpredir.debian.org), or the
> DNS redirector (deb.debian.org)?  Or something else?
>
> Benjamin
> (not subscribed, please CC)

Hi, Benjamin.. I JUST encountered this in last couple days involving
an OMG!!! FINALLY!!! successful debootstrap of Stretch/Testing. My
debootstrap sessions start with some take on this line (with
adjustments per the variables as needed):

debootstrap --arch amd64 stretch /mnt/cin ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian

That autogenerates a one-line repository that caught my attention this
time around. I've become used to seeing the httpredir version because
of that right there.

That httpredir came to my attention last year'ish via something like
Debian-Publicity or similar. A few short weeks later it showed up on
its own k/t my next Sid debootstrap soon afterward.

I started to fib and say I left it there because it was a developer
provided tweak, but a quick peek at backups says NOPE. Instead I
commented it out and reverted back to the deb. one. My memory is
fading, but it SEEMS LIKE I did that because it was taking FOREVER for
the *_CHOICES_* ***IT*** made each time apt-get reached into the
repositories. :)

THIS WEEK aka two days ago, this is Stretch's tweak (k/t developers again):

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch main

That's it. That's all I know on that. I may be remembering wrong on
this, too, but it SEEMS LIKE I saw some chatter about https (vs
http://) a while back. Haven't seen that reflected anywhere as a
default, though.

For now, that's also "it", all of "it", that is in my
/etc/apt/sources.list. The EXTREMELY rare times I ever have to step
outside that, I still don't change that. I go through the pain of
manually wget'ing (wget -c) the dotDeb archives I need then I use dpkg
to install.

Keeping a one-liner sources.list is just my (very stubborn) thing
here. There's no "mucking around" through a bunch of lines in that
file so it's very *cognitively friendly*. The additional payoff is
that you learn a little more under the hood that you might not
experience otherwise when you go that route. *grin*

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* Stretch/Testing with LXDE (and aewm/++ and pekwm and what else was it...?) *