Re: Re: Samba help.

On 1/29/2017 11:25 AM, John Darrah wrote:

    On 1/29/2017 12:25 AM, R. Ramesh wrote:

        I recently upgraded my debian jesse to 8.6. All of a sudden
        all samba guest access to this box stopped working. I did not
        update smb.conf file any time before or after. I vaguely
        remember that there was a flash of notes flying by when samba
        was upgraded, but do not recall what it is. BTW, I can mount
        if I provide an actual valid user with password. Only guest
        access does not work. Linux host 3.16.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP
        Debian 3.16.36-1+deb8u2 (2016-10-19) i686 GNU/Linux

        Samba Version: 2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2

        Guest access to the following share fails after the upgrade:

        [data]
             path = /data
             create mask = 0755
             directory mask = 0755
             public = yes
             browseable = yes
             writable = yes
             guest ok = yes

        If it is not too much trouble, please copy me your responses

        Thanks

        Ramesh

    Check to see that smb.conf was not replaced. If it was, the
    previous version will be called smb.conf.dpkg-dist or
    smb.conf.ucf-dist. You will have to compare them with your
    smb.conf file and merge any differences.

    -- john

Also check the following in [global] settings:

Change:

    map to guest = Bad User

to:

     map to guest = nobody

-- john

Thanks for your help.

I remember that apt-get asked if I wanted my smb.conf to be replaced. I said "no." Quick tkdiff between smb.conf and dist version shows that I miss these

 server role = standalone server
 map to guest = bad user
 usershare allow guests = yes

Of course, I will fix the second line and add all three and see what happens.

Ramesh