Re: Dell BIOS

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:52:48AM -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:
> change the boot sequence order from floppy-C:-CDROM to
> CDROM-floppy-C: or CDROM-C:-floppy which prevents the hard drive
> from grabbing the boot sequence each time.

There may be a function key that brings up a BIOS boot menu.
For Dell machines, it should be F12. Other candidates are F8 and F11.
Choosing an entry in the menu takes effect exactly once,
then the previous boot order is restored.
This feature might be useful to you if the entries are the same each
time and appear in the same order.

> 	I don't think the CMOS batteries are dead because the
> clock still seems to keep time

Changing the battery is certainly worth trying.

The BIOS clock could still have the correct time despite a dead battery
because the Linux system gets the time from an NTP server and writes it
to the BIOS clock on shutdown.  The clock then runs on ATX standby power
and will only lose its memory when the power cable is removed. The same
applies to the BIOS settings.

Regards,
Mirko