Re: How to seperate grub devices?

Hi,

Mark Fletcher wrote:
> No, mate, we UNDERSTOOD you from the beginning, the problem is that
> _what you are describing is impossible_.

To be exacting: It obviously goes beyond the imagination of the people
here, who have experience with running update-grub.

Hans, if you are sure that this happens and prepared to present the
experimental facts which make you sure, then consider to ask at
  help-grub@gnu.org
how this could be possible.

As one can see on
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-grub/2017-01/threads.html
the main supporter is quite busy. So be friendly and concise when
you present your case.

Why your problem should be on topic there:

man 8 update-grup says its a "stub for grub-mkconfig". On my Debian 8
i see in file /usr/sbin/update-grub :
  #!/bin/sh
  set -e
  exec grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg "$@"
(Did you check what your "update-grub" command actually does ?
 In mine i see no indication that it would write two grub.cfg files.)

man 8 grub-mkconfig says you should report bugs to bug-grub@gnu.org.
This is the neighbor list of help-grub. Since your problem is not
yet identified as a bug in GRUB, i would start by asking at help-grub.

I'd skip "update-grub" and ask directly about

  grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg ...your.other.arguments.if.any...

(After having tested that it indeed shows the problematic behavior,
 of course.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas