apt-listbugs and apt.conf

I'm still running apt-cacher-ng on wheezy (my "plumbed-in" server) and
have at various time switched to backports and backports-sloppy in
order to get error-free running. The main problem has been cache
expiration and at the moment it fails because of:
    Problem with debrep/dists/jessie/main/binary-i386/Packages.xz
OK, I'll put up with that. The cache grows more than it ought.

The latest problem is that when I apt-get upgrade, apt-listbugs fails because:

Retrieving bug reports... 0%at depth 1 - 20: unable to get local issuer certificate
 Fail
Error retrieving bug reports from the server with the following error message:
 W: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=error: certificate verify failed
It could be because your network is down, or because of broken proxy servers,
or the BTS server itself is down. Check network configuration and try again
Retry downloading bug information? [Y/n]

OK, I thought, I'll change the command line I type into:

# apt-get update && apt-get -d upgrade ; apt-get upgrade -o Acquire::http::Proxy=DIRECT

so that updating the Package files and downloading the packages both
take place through apt-cacher-ng, and then the actual upgrade can
run on a direct connection. The   -o Acquire::http::Proxy=DIRECT
counteracts the fact that /etc/apt/apt.conf contains:
Acquire::http::Proxy "http://192.168.1.19:3142/";;
APT::Default-Release "jessie";
(and nothing more).

The problem is that DIRECT doesn't trickle through to apt-listbugs,
which itself reads /etc/apt/apt.conf and so uses apt-cacher-ng
which fails, preventing any upgrade taking place. That's more
serious than just a cache growing too much.

Any ideas for an elegant solution? Some obscure configuration option?

Cheers,
David.