Re: linux-image-4.9.0-1-amd64 + nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver + xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

On יום ראשון, 15 בינואר 2017 19:44:36 IST Felix Miata wrote:
> Jimmy Johnson composed on 2017-01-15 13:43 (UTC-0800):
> > The 965 is only using "ro", the 4.8 and 4.9 kernel are installed but not
> > working. The 4.7.0-1 kernel works swell, if the newer kernel's are not
> > working later on I will do something else, like import another kernel
> > that will be updated.
>
> ro has no remaining effect long before starting Xorg or sddm are attempted.
> From the man page:
>
> 	ro		[KNL] Mount root device read-only on boot
>
> > The ATI is basically working with the 4.8.0-2 kernel and with the 4.9
> > kernel if I assist it by pressing key's on the keyboard or it dies and
> > it's just using "ro".
>
> Is Plymouth both required and installed on your systems? If installed and
> not required for your configuration, try disabling it, or removing it
> entirely.
> > The Nvidia has to use "ro nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0" and is working
> > swell with the 4.8.0-2 kernel but dies with the 4.9 kernel.
>
> It seems as though you are equating the FOSS Xorg driver named modesetting
> with kernel modesetting (KMS). They are not the same thing.
>
> The proprietary NVidia Xorg driver, unless something has changed lately that
> I'm unaware of, requires that KMS be disabled (exclusively via kernel
> cmdline???, such as nomodeset or *.modeset=0) in order for it to function.
> AFIAK, as I've never tried using it, AMD's proprietary drivers require the
> same.
>
> Disabling KMS via kernel cmdline disables these FOSS Xorg drivers:
>
> 	Intel
> 	AMD/ATI/Radeon
> 	Nouveau

I used to use the nomodeset. I also tested for it and brute-force switched
between Nouveau and Nvidia legacy based on it. I have not had nomodeset since
that "trick" (copying one or other Xorg.conf) became deprecated and I did a
new 64-bit install.

With no appends on kernel command line, Xorg works with either driver until I
try to use KDE, Kwin, compositing. Then Nouveau will hang up, Nvidia legacy
304 will have missing window decorations.