Re: Low Level Format of 1.4 Mb Floppy Isn't Happening

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017, Gene Heskett wrote:
> To add to the confusion, Martin, windows won the battle of fdc
> capabilities around a decade back with the fdc chip makers.  This $300

Hmm, no.  More like the fdc's all became "IP" ("intellectual property
module") verilog/vhdl to be added as an extra device in ASIC "super-io"
designs.

It is quite possible that one such base fdc "IP" module design used by
lots of such super-io ASICs cut corners (or someone screwed it up, no
way to know for sure), and did not implement the full spec, or did it
badly.

I would be hard pressed to tell you which super-io parts do have a
non-joke fdc.  The only thing I have that uses them is a MSX2+, and it
has its own discrete FDC that has been working flawlessly for 25 years.

> ASUS motherboard, when I bought it to build this machine in 2007, one of
> the first to support the AMD Phenom quad core chips, has an fdc that is
> unhappy with a 256 byte sector size, and will crash/lock this machine,
> so bad that it takes the long push on the power button, doing a

Are you sure this isn't a kernel driver issue?  The Linux floppy driver
doesn't see much love, and the people who *do* still use it are *not*
good at helping.  We don't see much posts of the "I will help" sort in
LKML.

> You'll have better, if slower, luck with rs-232 and zmodem.

While true, it won't help boot an old x86 box :p  You'd have better luck
with PXE-based network boot, or something.  Should be easy to find an
old NIC with a PXE boot ROM for US$ 10 or so on ebay, if your old box
lacks one :p

--
  Henrique Holschuh