Re: Defferences in kernel version and kernel release

Thanks a lot for the clarification. Very useful info.

14 Янв 2017 г. 14:13 пользователь "Sven Hartge" <sven@svenhartge.de> написал:
Вадим Колчев <vadimkolchev@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have up-to-date stable Jessie installation and noticed interesting thing.
> My kernel release is different from kernel-version. Is this okay?

Yes, it is.

> If yes, > why is this so?

> uname -r
> 3.16.0-4-amd64

This is what is called the Kernel-ABI. All modules compiled for
"3.16.0-4-amd64" will be compatible with all kernels providing this.

The kernel team aims to keep this ABI as stable as possible to avoid
the need to recompile all external modules every time a kernel is
updated.

If the kernel changes in an incompatible way, then this string will be
changed, for example to "3.16.0-5-amd64", meaning every out-of-tree
kernel module needs to be recompiled.

> uname -v
> #1 SMP Debian 3.16.36-1+deb8u2 (2016-10-19)

This is the real kernel version.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.