Re: kde install accessibility experience

I've read a message on another list tonight that kccm needs to be run in a terminal and the accessibility box needs to be checked before it is shut down. There was something else that needed starting so gpg would work too. Some stuff works once all of this is done but kmail does not yet talk.

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017, Keith Bainbridge wrote:

Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 01:45:32
From: Keith Bainbridge <keithrbaugroups@gmail.com>
To: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com>
Cc: Debian Lists <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: kde install accessibility experience

Suggest you contact Klaus Knopper of knoppix, who had similar issues with a
better half if I remember.

Keith Bainbridge

0447667468

keithrbaugroups@gmail.com

Sent from my APad

On 10 Jan 2017 18:06, "Jude DaShiell" <jdashiel@panix.com> wrote:

Earlier I wrote the kde-accessibility list and asked how to get kde
accessibility working with kde installed on a system specifically screen
reading accessibility.  I was advised I would need to install the whole
orca dependency stack and get orca up and running and from orca then get
kdespeech started.  I was also told kdespeech would read qt stuff orca
cannot read but wouldn't do much more beyond that.
I tried it and had an interesting install failure experience.
First going into console and installing orca dependency stack on the kde
installation that had already got done was no problem.
The problem started on rebootand I got the graphical environment running
and I know that because espeakup stopped working like it does in the
console.  So next I start orca up and that worked too and I was thinking
I'm just about home free here.  Wrong!  What came up talking on the screen
was I suppose you could call it a dialog to set the system date.  I tried
several times to set the system date in that calendar dialog and though I
was able to set the date, I found no control or way to close the calendar
dialog and go beyond the calendar dialog to get any of kde's accessibility
up and working.  Since then I have read about some variables that may be
helpful exporting before I start up the graphical environment on next
installation try.
Understand, I do my own stuff with computers and do not have sighted
assistance to help out when I do it let alone someone experienced with kde
who can see so that's the explanation for this failed kde accessibility
install experience.