Re: Upgrade Wheezy to Jessie - gave up waiting for root device

On Friday, 6 January 2017 14:38:01 CET Steven Kauffmann wrote:
> When booting I get the following output: give up waiting for root device ...

Looks like the kernel boots but cannot find the disk that contains '/'

> I can still boot into the old kernel (3.2.0-4-amd64).

While in grub menu, check the root parameter that is given to the kernel. On
my system (that uses encryption and lvm, hence the mapper value), I have:

$ cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.8.0-2-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/ylum--vg-root ro acpi_osi=!
"acpi_osi=Windows 2009" acpi_osi=! "acpi_osi=Windows 2009" quiet

You should be able to boot by tweaking root parameter value in the grub menu,
may be use something similar to what is used by kernel 3.2.0

If this works, looks for dubious setting in /etc/default/grub or dubious files
in /etc/grub.d

HTH

--
 https://github.com/dod38fr/   -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/