Re: Fresh install gives no graphical login

Op Mon, 09 Jan 2017 05:10:11 +0100 schreef Tama McGlinn <t.mcglinn@gmail.com>:

Dear Debian volunteers,

I hope you can help me with a problem I've been experiencing since Debian Jessie; After doing a new installation, debian boots, but only presents me with a tty1 login screen, and no graphical session started. Here's what I've tried so far:

-Different versions of debian: netinstall vs full CD, with and without live, with and without nonfree, amd64 or i386 (it's an i7 I'm trying to install to; I've done lots of googling and found many people asking how to tell architecture type, but no real answers, so I'm going to stick with my guess that amd64 is for 64 bit computers, and i386 is for 32 bit computers, and all the rest are for uncommon architectures that I will never need.) - that gives 16 possibilities, of which I have tried about half but every option gives the same result.

-Different Methods of putting the iso on the usb stick: using `dd if=isofile.iso of=/dev/sdc; sync` (after checking that's the one with gparted or fdisk -l) ; right clicking the isofile and choosing "open with disk image writer" and "restoring" to the usb stick ; using mkusb(-dus). I'm doing this because my previous way, using unetbootin, is said to be obsolete for the latest version of debian, and because it wasn't working. (the error message led me to the article or question where I found it was obsolete)

-Searching for other people with this problem; just a few results: Tried `startx` and `xstart` - programs don't exist. `grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log` that file does not exist on the fresh install, it does on all my other debian jessie installs which do work.

-Tried with 2 usb sticks, these have been used in the past to install debian jessie to the same computer, (both of them - I install often) so I don't know what is different but it's very unlikely both usb sticks have become faulty.

I have a current workaround, which is to dd my current installation onto the new harddisk, but I really want to have a clean install, which should go through the installer.

I hope someone here can help me; the documentation is not very clear on how to "write the iso to usb" and I suspect that is what I have done incorrectly in this case.

Kind regards,
Tama

If you have an internet connection available in tty1 you can install a desktop with:
(as root)
apt-get install tasksel
tasksel --list-tasks
choose your favorite desktop from the list and install it with:
tasksel install <favorite>-desktop

Floris