Re: Systemd: no error but "maintenance mode"

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 14:28:09 +0100
Steffen Dettmer <steffen.dettmer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What happened before:
> I had issue with a Debian server SATA bus [1]. I noticed because
> apt-get upgrade hung, because initramfs updater calls "sync" which
> hang because of [1]. All operations accessing a certain (backup) disk
> blocked. Shutdown over network. It was reported server power LED still
> up, so probably shutdown hang, too. Server was powered off and disk
> pulled.

The disc you removed: did it have an entry in /etc/fstab? Does this
server use systemd? If yes to both, comment the /etc/fstab entry or
give it an extra option 'noauto'. Systemd assumes that any local drive
listed in /etc/fstab without 'noauto' is essential for booting, and will
drop you to maintenance mode if the drive cannot be found.

> Then server did not come up. Now I went to its location with monitor
> and keyboard. I saw a screen full of boot messages, each line prefixed
> with green "[OK]". On bottom, I got asked for root password. I though
> Debian does not use root passwords? I'm old fashioned so fortunately I
> set one, so I could log in.

Yes, a plain Debian installation will ask you to set a root password.

> Or is Debian nowadays desktop only? I know ubuntu-server, is there
> also some debian-server?

No, there is no special server variant, Debian Stable would normally be
used, with whatever additional software the user wishes.

--
Joe