Re: hotpluggable member of a bridge

	Hi.

On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 20:17:39 -0500
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > But, it all changes if you replace conventional bridge with
> > openvswitch, which *can* add new interfaces (ports as they call it) to
> > its own bridges dynamically *and* it can be configured via interfaces(5).
>
> Interesting.  Would it work if the IP address of the bridge is acquired
> dynamically via DHCP?

Yes, it should. DHCP is L4, IP is L3 and openvswitch cares about L2
mostly.

> E.g. at boot, the bridge contains only eth0, but it can't get an IP
> address because there's no DHCP server on that network (or maybe eth0
> is not even connected to anything yet).
>
> Later, someone connects an ethernet dongle that appears as usb0 and that
> one should be added to br0 and since it is connected to a network that
> has a DHCP server, I'd want the br0 to acquire an IP at that moment.

It should be possible to obtain a single IPv4 on a bridge even in this
case *if* you run dhclient on a bridge (not on the ports) the whole
time.

To speedup obtaining a lease you should probably restart dhclient on
usb0 addition/removal.

Reco