Re: hotpluggable member of a bridge

Am 05.01.2017 um 10:29 schrieb tomas@tuxteam.de:
> and delegates to specialized subsystems. In a pinch you can just sneak
> a complete shell script in an udev rule (and I'm guilty of having done
> such a thing [2]), but doing this as "system architecture" might lead to
> madness :-)

> [2] Once, for a customer: inserting the right storage medium (with
>    the right UUID) triggered a system backup.

Please don't do that. udev is a not a service manager and starting (long
running) tasks from a udev rule is bad.
See also the udev man page:

    Starting daemons or other long-running processes is not appropriate
    for udev; the forked processes, detached or not, will be
    unconditionally killed after the event handling has finished.

If you want to trigger the start of a service via udev, tag the device
with "systemd" and use SYSTEMD_WANTS [1] via a custom udev rule, like

<your matches>,TAG+="systemd",ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}="foo.service"

Regards,
Michael

[1]
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.device.html#SYSTEMD_WANTS=