Re: Who changed

On 2017-01-03 at 12:38, Johan DS wrote:

> Hi
> I use the who command in my .zlogin for counting how many times I'm logged
> in.
> who | awk '$1 == "'$USER'"' | wc -l
>
> previously the output was something like
> user tty1
> user pts/2
> so user was 2 times logged in

The output from which part of the command?

The output I get from this command is a single number.

If I drop the '| wc -l' from the end, the output I get appears to be
exactly the same as the output from just running 'who' by itself.

> However the who output seems to be changed in:
>
> NAME       LINE         TIME             IDLE          PID COMMENT  EXIT
>            system boot  2017-01-03 15:56
> user     - tty1         2017-01-03 15:58 01:52        1067
>            run-level 5  2017-01-03 15:59
>            pts/2        2017-01-03 17:22             14868 id=ts/2  term=0
> exit=0

I don't get this.

What version of who are you running?

That is:

* What does 'who --version' say?

* What does 'apt-cache policy coreutils' say? (who is normally part of
coreutils.)

On my system:

$ type who
who is /usr/bin/who
$ dlocate /usr/bin/who | grep /who$
coreutils: /usr/bin/who
$ who --version
who (GNU coreutils) 8.26
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Written by Joseph Arceneaux, David MacKenzie, and Michael Stone.
$ apt-cache policy coreutils
coreutils:
  Installed: 8.26-1
  Candidate: 8.26-1
  Version table:
 *** 8.26-1 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     8.23-4 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Package

> Does anybody knows an alternative so I can count my loggins again

The first thing to do is figure out what changed and why. Once we know
that, we can start pursuing ways to find something that will work now.

--
   The Wanderer