Re: Do have programs have poor documentation?

On Mon 02 Jan 2017 at 11:28:49 (-0500), rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, January 02, 2017 09:52:14 AM David Wright wrote:
> > Have you actually looked?
> >
> > $ man ls | wc -l
> > 223
> > $ info --output=/dev/stdout --subnodes ls | wc -l
> > 853
> > $
>
> I think, for a fairer comparison, you should specify ls in the info command.
> Then I get:
>
> rhk@s19:~$ info ls --output=/dev/stdout --subnodes "$1" | wc
> info: Writing node (coreutils.info.gz)Which files are listed...
> info: Done.
>      93     517    3738
> rhk@s19:~$ man ls | wc
>     251     946    8102
> rhk@s19:~$
>
> Now I'll see if I can do a [w]diff on the two...
>
> $ wdiff `man ls` `info ls --output=/dev/stdout --subnodes "$1"` | less
>
> info: Writing node (coreutils.info.gz)Which files are listed...
> info: Done.
> diff: conflicting output style options
> diff: Try `diff --help' for more information.
>
> Well, that wasn't useful, I suppose I could read both, or output to a file and
> then do a [w]diff...

See my other post in this thread and have another go using the
command line as intended, ie with "ls" after the options.
That way, your   info ls   output will be complete.

I haven't tried to figure out why this:

$ info ls --output=/dev/stdout --subnodes "" | wc
info: Writing node (coreutils.info.gz)Which files are listed...
info: Done.
     93     517    3738
$ info ls --output=/dev/stdout --subnodes  | wc
info: Writing node (coreutils.info.gz)ls invocation...
info: Writing node (coreutils.info.gz)Which files are listed...
info: Writing node (coreutils.info.gz)What information is listed...
info: Writing node (coreutils.info.gz)Sorting the output...
info: Writing node (coreutils.info.gz)Details about version sort...
info: Writing node (coreutils.info.gz)General output formatting...
info: Writing node (coreutils.info.gz)Formatting file timestamps...
info: Writing node (coreutils.info.gz)Formatting the file names...
info: Done.
    853    4427   32233
$

BTW glad you got your photo frame working OK (in another thread).
I thought it might work that way. But back in this thread, note
how they roll on and on. We are still posting under the subject
line "Do have programs have poor documentation?"

Cheers,
David.