Re: brother printer/scanners

On Monday 02 January 2017 00:51:11 Jape Person wrote:

> [...]
> about an *opinion* which I stated clearly was an opinion.
>
> And their drivers don't "just work" without doing some pretty wonky
> stuff to the system. You post about enough problems you have with
> unusual configurations that I'd think you wouldn't begrudge someone
> else wishing to avoid that sort of thing.
>
> I gave credit where credit was due, and acknowledged that the
> installation script did a good job of installing working drivers for
> all of the functions. I just didn't appreciate the way it went about
> the job. Look below in the paragraphs you quoted.
>
> >> I did, however, test the proprietary drivers for the MFC-9340CDW on
> >> a Debian testing system before yanking them off and reverting
> >> entirely to FOSS.
> >>
> >> Brother provides a number of different ways to install the mixture
> >> of open source and proprietary drivers they provide on the support
> >> site. If you are in the least bit persnickety about the way
> >> installers work, you won't like Brother's installers. They use a
> >> lot of dpkg --force-install crap and stick stuff like 32 bit
> >> libraries onto your 64 bit architecture so that you will see
> >> warnings scroll by and start wondering why you bothered with this.
> >>
> >> The funny thing is that the worst of these installers, a script
> >> which installs everything possible via download, actually does the
> >> best job of getting all of the parts of the device to work --
> >> assuming that you don't make a wrong choice somewhere during the
> >> installation procedure.
> >>
> >> I tried installing just the scanner software from the proprietary
> >> software along with the open source foomatic driver. That worked
> >> pretty well, but only after some trial-and-error with the
> >> instructions.
> >>
> >> If you do any of Brother's manual install procedures, watch out for
> >> the typos in their instructions. Some of the mistakes in the
> >> documentation are really, really ridiculous. Even an intern in the
> >> support division should be able to write instructions that
> >> distinguish properly between usb and network connections.
> >>
> >> Also, if you do install the Brother proprietary stuff, run
> >> debfoster immediately afterward to confirm that you want to keep
> >> all of the parts and pieces of the drivers and their libraries so
> >> that your package manager won't try to throw it all away the next
> >> time you run a full-upgrade.
> >>
> >> Good luck! Or just use the open source printer driver from the
> >> repository and use your smartphone for scanning.
> >
> > For a far less secure way than I do it.
>
> For a far less secure way than you do what? Scanning? You're stating
> that you know for a fact that using the WPA-secured wifi connection
> between a smartphone and an applet on the smartphone for getting a
> scan from an MFC is less secure than installing proprietary software
> on your computer to accomplish the scan? Is that really what you're
> stating? I wouldn't care to spend the time and energy that would be
> required to prove the point one way or another.

Neither do I, and the choice of printers you use, or scanners, becomes
considerably more limited when you eliminate the linux drivers supplied
by the devices maker, and which I feel I bought as part of the deal when
I dropped my card on the counter to pay for the device.  That choice is
for you and I to make isn't it?  I did think for a spell that epson was
good, but the last 2 epson printers I bought had head failures that
epson refused to do anything about because I was running linux. The
first one failed in about 6 months, the next one in under 30 days, head
clogs, so I jumped to a brother laser, which worked well for about 3
years, but the high voltage card went down.  That is something I will
fix whenever I get enough stuff cleared off the workbench as I am a CET.
In the meantime this ink squirter is working fairly well, and if I need
to lay out a metal working machines logic diagram, the 11x17 cuts that
half a sheet of plywood covering job down to only 6 sheets of paper to
trim so edges match and mount on that plywood. I look at this one as an
interim solution to a need. Its not doing me any good if it doesn't
work, and if the maker doesn't want to support linux, then he just lost
me as a customer. Its his choice. I just want it to work, and brothers
stuff does.

As far as security is concerned, I run a router reflashed with dd-wrt.
Nothing comes in I don't invite. Period. My sons were here for a few
last summer, and I turned on the radio so their smart phones could use
it, set it up with the best keyfile security (I thought, WPA-PSK with a
2K key. I don't know which neighbor cracked it, and the path was not
into my system but out on the net.) So the only thing I noted was it got
slow, but when I got the net bill, my usage had jumped 50 gigabytes
without me doing anything unusual. Logging into the router I found it
had 2 dhcp clients.  Nothing here uses dhcp. I could knock them out and
they were back in 3 seconds.  Screw it, and turned off the radio. They
couldn't get to my stuff but they could sure burn up my bandwidth.

> But I am sure of one thing, using the smartphone or tablet to get the
> scan doesn't install software outside the approved Debian repositories
> on my Debian Gnu/Linux systems.
>
> I'm not Chicken Little crying about a falling sky. I'm just happier
> sticking with software and drivers for which the computing community
> has access to source on my critical systems.
>
> I don't worry a lot about my wife's smartphone and tablet. I consider
> Android devices to be compromised from the start. She transacts no
> financial, commercial, or legal business on those devices. The Debian
> systems here, on the other hand, get used for lots of business that we
> just don't trust to systems loaded with proprietary software.
>
> It's not a religion; it's a preference. And I always try to be careful
> to distinguish between fact and opinion. Hence my advice covered use
> of FOSS-only software, use of a combination of proprietary software
> and FOSS software using manual driver installation methods, and use of
> the installer script which still installs a mix but does the job with
> a fairly heavy hand (again, in my *opinion*).
>
> JP

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)