Re: Do have programs have poor documentation?

Hi,

Xen wrote:
> [...]; call it the Linux Support Arena, or the Linux Support Agenda
> even, people on the side take on the customer support role of filtering.
> They act like they try to get the complainer off of the back of the
> developer of writer, much like front-desk personnel often does. The real
> writer or developer however is often much nicer to you and your complaints
> or observations, of course, true.

Your mileage may vary. :))
What you perceive as front desk support people are often the distro packagers
who often concentrate on packaging rather than serving as broker between
user and upstream.

I, for example, regret that Debian has no means to help me getting attention
for some miserable regressions around /dev/sr since kernel 2.6. It would be
great to have a comittee to which i could present my cases and which orders
the linux-scsi department to seriously consider my fix proposals.

On the other hand this committee could order me to implement UDF 2.6 so
i would have to read OSTA specs or get fired from my programmer's seat.
(Not clear what's worse. OSTA or eternal boredom.)

In the sum i prefer our current shall-do-who-can system.

> [...] using Linux, in general, means requiring more
> fallback measures than for any other system you would use.

We just love our systems more and take more offense when they fail.

> You probably can't imagine the personal stress levels I've had in my life
> ;-).

I lost power supplies, displays, a southbridge radiator, and several
burners. Never a hard disk, strangely. But interesting parts of their
content.

It is time for the 20:00 backup. See man xorriso, EXAMPLES,
"Incremental backup of a few directory trees".

... 3 minutes which can save a future day ...

> I am very upset with
> myself very regularly for trusting the promises of Linux.

Linux does not promise anything.  GPL version 2:
 "Also, for each author's protection and ours, we want to make certain
  that everyone understands that there is no warranty for this free
  software."

It raises expectations and hope, though.

> No it is perfectly possible to design a system that is fail-safe or that
> gets the required information to you at the required time. It's just not
> being done. Not enough time for it, I guesss. Not enough time being spent on
> it, or not enough dedication and attention.

Many of us try hard ...

> > And thus the "emergency mode" problem turns out to be about the need for
> > becomming an insider at an inappropriate moment of time.

> Yes exactly. And this is always the case with whatever problem. You want to
> focus on solving your problem and not on spending 26 hours on filing a bug
> report and discussing it with developers first who want your aid into
> solving theirs.

... but how shall we improve if the users are too much in a hurry to explore
what really causes the problems they perceive ?

Not to forget that this is the deal between makers and users of free software.
Maker plans and programs, user tests and reports.

> > When you need a skilled friend,

> You would be hoping that Linux itself would be that friend,

GNU/Linux is just a contraption of software.
It can be your pet but not your friend.

> Windows

Not that word !!!

No wonder you have problems with Linux. It can smell the enemy and growls.

> I sometimes think I should have emigrated to Italy and drowned in the sea
> where it was warm.

Here i can only wish you that 2017 gets lighter for you than the previous
years were.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas