Re: [OT] Antikythera mechanism [was Re: Do have programs have poor documentation?]

On Sunday 01 January 2017 14:54:09 Joel Rees wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Miles Fidelman
>
> <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:

> > On 12/30/16 7:07 PM, deloptes wrote:
No, I wrote that.

> Without a functioning Antikythera mechanism, we really can't answer
> that question in a useful manner. However, I could guess that I could
> not program that machine with anything that looks like a full C
> compiler.

So something that can't be programmed with anything that looks like a full C
compiler is not a computer???  So Colossus was not a computer?? :-)

C itself, of course, is MUCH later than Colossus,

<quote> C was originally developed by Dennis Ritchie between 1969 and 1973 at
Bell Labs, </quote>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_(programming_language)

<quote>
Colossus was a set of computers developed by British codebreakers in
1943-1945 .... The prototype, Colossus Mark 1, was shown to be working in
December 1943
</quote>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

but I don't think that Colossus could compile with anything.  It had to be
directly programmed.

Lisi