Re: "command not found"

On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 02:21:23PM -0700, Bob Holtzman wrote:
> I've run across this a number of times in the past, but it's usually a
> permissions problem, easily fixed. Not this time.
>
> holtzm@localhost:~$ ls -l .fetchmail
> -rwx------ 1 holtzm holtzm 365 Nov 26 14:05 .fetchmail

But what command did you try to run?  You didn't say.

> Sure looks like it aught to work. It's probably something simple that
> I'm missing and when someone points it ought I will ram my head into a
> wall in self-disgust.

If you are trying to run a script located in the current directory (which
is not and should not be in your PATH by default), you have to specify
the path to the program.  Which is ./ for current directory.

./myscript

I have no idea why you have an executable file beginning with a dot.
Files that begin with a dot are traditionally configuration files used
by some other program.

I believe the config file for fetchmail is actually ~/.fetchmailrc and
not ~/.fetchmail but it's been years since I last looked at fetchmail.