Re: A workaround was -[Re: Index of hardware test utilities available in official Debian repositories]

On 11/30/2016 5:38 PM, Seeker wrote:
On 11/30/2016 11:20 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 11/29/2016 8:52 AM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 08:07:47 AM Verde Denim wrote:
On 11/29/2016 7:31 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
I just looked at the intro of
https://debtags.alioth.debian.org/paper-debtags.html .
It appears that its goal is to solve my problem. I see a day of
interesting reading ahead.

Thank you.

I'm afraid the days of the published OS document containing the
permutated index are long gone.

 From this reply, I guessed that debtags was a dead project
(the page
referred
to apparently orignated in 2005, iiuc).

But, I dug a little deeper and found the following, which has a
copyright of
2011-2013, and may be fairly useful.

I went to:

  https://debtags.debian.org/search/

and, for kicks, queried on "diagnostic" and got 92 hits.

The page / project appears to still allow people to add new tags,
although I
didn't try that.

Let me (us) know how you make out if you try it...

I didn't find it satisfying. That is not to say the search
execution had
any inherent problems. There just didn't seem to be an appropriate
tag(s) for my goals.

I've been so focused on crating a fully custom install of
Debian on a
flash drive that I forgot having a batch of physical CDs with
free [as
in beer] diagnostic software. I'll check which of them are FOSS
and
search the repositories for them. If there enough, I'll look into
tweaking their tags so they can be found.

A second path is looking at descriptions of the software on
these CDs
and come up with a better set of keywords than I've been using.

Now to continue torture testing my laptop that no longer wants
to run
Jessie ;/

Did you find your way to axi-cache?

It's part of thhe xapian / apt-xapian-index stuff.

Still limited, but may give better results than using debtags
directory.

The packages descriptions don't always have the information either.

http://www.enricozini.org/blog/2010/debian/axi-cache/

https://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/11/29/how-to-find-the-right-debian-packages-high-level-search-interface/

So knowing hard drives have SMART and there are self-test
functions, I
tried something like

axi-cache search smart hardware::storage

if my memory is correct.

In the time I spent with axi-cache I did not find a way to get it to
show diskscan without being specific that did not include a bunch of
scanner and other things the have scan in the name/tag/description.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=diskscan&searchon=names&suite=stable&section=all

*THANK YOU* !
I haven't checked any of the links yet.
Your mention of "diskscan" got me browsing related man pages.
It got me rethinking my underlying problem which got me looking for packaged diagnostics in the first place. Must read them when fully awake ;/