Re: Manually installed packages (was: Uninstalling Gnome)

On 11/29/16, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue 29 Nov 2016 at 23:45:51 (+0000), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>>
>> If I run `apt-mark showmanual', a list of packages is ouput that are
>> supposed
>> to have been manually installed on my system but that actually I don't at
>> all
>> remember ever installing neither do I believe they truly have been nay I'm
>> sure
>> they haven't...  Any people could explain that?
>
> apt-mark showmanual   gives you the complement of   apt-mark showauto.
> The second paragraph of apt-mark's description explains what's meant
> by "auto". So "manual" doesn't mean what you appear to assume it does,
> that you were involved in manually selecting it for installation. It
> just means "not auto".

I just played along here by running apt-mark. I received back a LONG
list that is "fine by me", i.e. nothing to sweat over on my end,
because of how upgrading has been going lately. That "no sweat"
reaction is because David's response brought back to mind that I see
the following sometimes after running "apt-get install" for an already
up-to-date package::

+++++
libilmbase12 is already the newest version (2.2.0-11).
libilmbase12 set to manually installed.
+++++

I had to work hard to find something that wasn't on the list apt-mark
had just given me. /var/log/apt/history.log.1 was my friend there.

Everything else that I tried turned out to already be on the apt-mark
generated list. Attempts at "accidentally" installing packages already
on the apt-mark list all simply responded back with the "is already
the newest version" line.

It's tied in. libilmbase12 was NOT in my initial apt-mark showmanual
query response. It IS on that list now.

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey