Re: Weirdness with two packages.........

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 00:19:38 -0500 The Wanderer sent:

<snip>

>  I have - different from your own:
> >
> > $ apt-cache policy libavutil55
> > libavutil55:
> >   Installed: 10:3.1.2-dmo2
> >   Candidate: 10:3.1.2-dmo2
> >   Version table:
> >  *** 10:3.1.2-dmo2 100
> >         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> >      7:3.2-2 500
> >         500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64
> > Packages
>
> This is almost certainly your problem. The version of libavutil which
> you have is from a different source, with a higher epoch version but a
> lower upstream version, and is no longer available from your selected
> repositories. In particular, it is not the same version as your other
> libav* libraries (as the snipped version information for libavformat
> indicates), and that mismatch is probably the source of the problem.
>
> Do you have any idea how this mismatched package version may have come
> about?
>
> I recommend that you explicitly install the "lower" version listed
> here (7:3.2-2), and see if your problem goes away.
>
> I don't know what tools you normally use for package installation and
> upgrade, but I would do that with the following command (in a root
> terminal):
>
> apt-get install libavutil55=7:3.2-2

	After contemplation, my reply is:

I'm on a different machine now, at a different place when sending this.

I only ever use apt-get for updates, upgrades, installs and purges.

But before I left that machine I attempted your excellent suggestion
and received this error message:

 libswresample2 : Depends: libavutil55 (>= 10:3.1.2) but 7:3.2-2 is to
be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be
caused by held packages.

I assume that I might have missed a bug report on a update/upgrade? So
I will just have to purge libswresample2, and libavutil55 (>= 10:3.1.2)

Thank you for your help.
Charlie

--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	If you argue for your limitations, you get to keep
	them. .....Richard Bach

	Debian GNU/Linux - Magic indeed.