Re: Jessie upgrade without systemd [was: Debian *not very good]

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 10:27:07AM +0000, Joe wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 10:02:50 +0100
> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 03:57:53PM -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>

> > > If you do a normal dist-upgrade Wheezy to Jessie, sysvinit will be
> > > replaced with systemd.
> >
> > Not forcefully.
> >
> > > And probably screw everything up..
> >
> > Now this is an unnecessarily loaded statement. Given the smoking holes
> > the last flame war has left[1], I'd tread carefully if I were you ;-)
> >

> A fair number of wheezy systems will be servers, upgraded many times.
> Mine started out as sarge. What are the odds of such a system making the
> change to systemd without problems?

A reasonable amount.
I did it, and experienced no issues at all. In fact I had more issues while
upgrading to wheezy.

> I converted a sid to systemd, but had to give up on it as it became too
> flaky, unstable in all senses of the word. A workstation isn't really a
> problem to reinstall from scratch, an old server is a nightmare.
>
> Obviously I had to do a reinstallation to move to 64 bits, but that was
> a get-selections/set-selections job, with the old /etc pretty much
> copied over. All the same software, just 64 bit, and more importantly,
> all the old scripts. That's not going to work with a systemd-based
> reinstall.

You hardly can blame systemd for a 32/64 bit switch.
so you exchange binaries, and? Not s systemd issue.

And while we are at a network issue topic (OP).
Systemd is actually better than any network-manager or your beloved init
scripts at that. It tracks much more reliably the status of your interfaces
than any other method. Period.

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com