Re: hplip and use of the "driver plugin"

On Sat 19 Nov 2016 at 20:09:10 +0000, Brian wrote:

> On Sat 19 Nov 2016 at 13:21:23 -0500, Jape Person wrote:

> > >Are we talking about printer firmware, or host-cpu device drivers?
> > >
> > >All of your reply is only relevant for device firmware (runs in the
> > >device).  But I thought this was about a binary-only driver blob that
> > >runs in the host OS ?  Or did I misunderstand?
> > >
> > I'm pretty sure it's a host-cpu device driver.
> >
> > http://hplipopensource.com/node/309
>
> Sorry to be awkward, but what does "it's" refer to?
>
> The plugin contains *.fw files and libraries. A firmware file is uploaded to
> the printer when it is switched on. Quite what the libraries do I do not
> know but my assumption is they are involved in this and the host-based
> management of the printer. Enlightenment would be appreciated.

Enlightenment came from thinking about it. :) I concentrated too much
on the firmware aspect. I suspect firmware may only be needed with older
printers. Maybe the newer printers have a Host Based Printer Language
Interpreter.

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh and you are correct. If the printing side of
the MFP requires the plugin it is a host-based printer and the hbpl1
library would be used. Sorry for the misleading up a blind alley.

Even if a colour laserjet MFP can get by for printing without the plugin
it probably requires it for scanning.

  http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/plugin.html

--
Brian.