Re: KDE5-autostart bug

On 11/23/16, Jonathan Marquardt <parckwart@parckwart.de> wrote:
> It is normal that these percent sign and letter combinations are in your
> .desktop files. They're called field codes. See:
> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html#exec-variables
>
> Although I don't know why they're just being passed directly to the
> application. It's meant so that that their values (if present) are passed.
> Since none of these values should be declared if the application is started
>
> from Autostart, I'm not sure what's going on there.
>
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 08:06:34PM +0300, chatrapati wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Debian testing.
>>
>> I think I find a bug, but I cannot understand in which package. Problem
>> with
>> KDE5-autostart
>>
>> I put firefox-esr.desktop in ~/.config/autostart/ and when I reboot
>> system
>> firefox-esr trying to go in IP-adress "%u". There is a string
>> "Exec=firefox-esr %u"
>>
>> Do similarly with inkscape I have similarly problem: inkscape starting
>> trying to open file "%F" .There is a string "Exec=inkscape %F" in file
>> inkscape.desktop".
>>
>> And so on with many other packages.

Is it potentially anything related to language? I've wondered about
that on occasion. Have admired the translation efforts going on. Are
those percentage sign "field codes" universal for all languages?

The other thing I thought about was maybe attempt placing them in a
super basic text editor and then reentering them to make sure there's
no invisible anythings being accidentally grabbed and processed. No,
not likely, but never hurts to rule it out. That's a hold-over tip
from helping W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) lists circa early 2000s.
:)

Just thinking out loud... :)

Cindy :)

--