Re: Coercing sane file permissions -- site specific

On Sun 20 Nov 2016 at 07:40:17 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 11/20/2016 7:29 AM, Brian wrote:
> >
> >Doesn't pmount fit the bill if all you want is to read/write?
>
> No.
>
> Maybe the problem is D.E. specific? I'm using MATE and thus Caja as
> file-manager.

TBH, the problem as such isn't clear to me. You have USB stick which is
formatted FAT16 (say). I'd expect after plugging it into your Debian
machine 'lsblk' would show the device and its partitions. Does this
happen?

Then something like

  pmount sdg1

would put the mount point as /media/sdg1. Does this happen?

> On top menu-bar Places will list identifiers for mountable devices.
> Clicking the "identifier" will "mount" the identified device.
> It will use information available from /etc/fstab and/or pmount.allow .
> Neither appears to have an entry equivalent to "any FAT filesystem on
> plugable device".

What I'm unclear about is whether this is a question which is about the
DE being used. I cannot see the problem being DE specific, either. In
GNOME and Xfce the USB device would show up left hand pane of Nautilus.
Mounting is by right clicking on it. pmount has nothing to do with the
mounting.

--
Brian.