Re: hplip and use of the "driver plugin"

On Fri 18 Nov 2016 at 20:34:03 -0500, Jape Person wrote:

> I'm getting ready to replace all of our old equipment that has been used for
> well over a decade in our home network.
>
> I decided to try to do everything with FOSS -- open source Luxul router,
> open-source-only drivers for everything on the libreboot PCs. But I've run
> into a snag with the printer and scanner.
>
> I was going to make life easy for myself and use hplip with something like
> an HP MFP. But all of the new HP MFP and scanners seem to make use of a
> "driver plugin". If I'm understanding correctly, a user has to run the
> hp-setup program that comes with hplip. That program actually downloads this
> proprietary blob during installation of the printer. This is not at all what
> I want. So far, the only MFPs and scanners I've found that don't use the
> driver plugin are either FCC Class A devices so not really suitable for home
> use or are at end of support. There are a couple of single function laser
> printers that might work, but I'd still have to find a scanner that doesn't
> require the blob. HP doesn't appear to make one.

You've probably seen

  http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/combined.html

so can match up your requirement with what is on the market from HP. It
does appear to be limited but your choice could be widened by including
inkjet printers in the list.

> What about hplip? Doesn't inclusion of the hp-setup program in hplip sort of
> violate the spirit of having only FOSS in the main repository when executing
> it will result in installation of a proprietary blob? I just ran it as a
> test on one of the old OfficeJets, and I didn't see bubkiss about it
> installing proprietary software.

hplip is all free software. The plugin is not in Debian so the stuation
there is kosher. You choose to download it and can have hp-setup help
you if you wish. There is no way round having it for some printing or
scanning functions.

> I've been pretty ill and not paying careful attention to the list for a long
> time now. has this already been discussed? If so, didn't find any pertinent
> threads.
>
> This seems to be a step backward in HP's technical support for open source
> software. I'm disappointed.

HP support the free software 100%. Just as the Linux kernel and Debian
supports free wireless drivers which require firmware.

--
Brian.