Re: set domain name in Debian `

On Tue 15 Nov 2016 at 15:02:54 +0000, Joe wrote:

> On 15/11/2016 14:10, Brian wrote:

> >Exim wants to see a fqdn in the 127.0.1.1 line, written as specified in
> >hosts(5):
> >
> > IP_address canonical_hostname [aliases...]
> >
> >The canonical_hostname is used for the HELO/EHLO.
>
> Default, can be overridden by the primary_hostname configuration, which can
> be overridden again by helo_data in individual transports.
>
> My mail server's hostname does not exist in public DNS, like many small mail
> servers it is behind NAT, not directly exposed to the Net. My public MX
> hostname is not the same as the server's hostname.
>
> Also exim4 can handle mail for multiple domains, using a separate HELO for
> each if required, and the per-transport setting allows even finer HELO
> control if you have a use for that.

I'm convinced it can all of these things but my needs are mostly
accomodated by the setups described in the Debian documentation.

> >With most large ISPs
> >it is not taken much notice of but there are servers which (rightly or
> >wrongly) would do a reverse lookup on wooledg and, getting a negative
> >response, reject the mail. Basically, you will get away with the line
> >you have when you use an understanding smarthost. I think Postfix
> >could behave in the same way.
> >

> That's fairly common, the exim4 default if enabled is to check that the HELO
> is resolvable at all, not that it matches anything specific. It's a few
> years since I last did it, but when I used telnet to talk to remote mail
> servers I used a well-known six character domain name as HELO to save
> typing, one to which I had no entitlement, and nothing ever complained.

Are you sure that is the default?

brian@desktop:~$ telnet localhost 25
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 desktop ESMTP Exim 4.84_2 Tue, 15 Nov 2016 15:38:31 +0000
helo claptrap
250 desktop Hello localhost [::1]
mail from:brian
501 brian: sender address must contain a domain
mail from:brian@localhost
250 OK
rcpt to:brian@desktop
250 Accepted