Re: install recommended by default? (was: Gparted will not label...)

Brian composed on 2016-11-12 15:45 (UTC):

On Sat 12 Nov 2016 at 13:45:38 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:

Brian wrote:

> Not installing a recommended package on a default Debian would be a bug.

Aptitude on my current almost vanilla temporary Jessie install doesn't install
recommends.  But it makes a big point of telling me a) that they are
recommended and b) that they are not going to be installed.  I then often,
but not always, install them.  It doesn't strike me as a bug.  This is Debian
not Ubuntu.

I could, of course, reset aptitude.  I am quite happy with the status quo.

Never really used aptitude but I've just installed it and ran the curses
variety of the program. "options" at the top of the screen shows

Option:  Apt::Install-Recommends
Default: True
Value:   True

I'd like to know how you found the above. Running aptitude 0.6.11 on vtty3 here as root in 8.6 I'm unable to find anything like that from its Options menu, or anywhere else.

The behaviour of your aptitude is presumably because you have adjusted
the default behaviour in some way. The new behaviour is not a bug.

Also, a default Debian doesn't have aptitude but apt-get. which installs
recommended packages by default.

I booted 5 of 6 Jessie installations here in recent minutes. All contain

	APT::Install-Recommends "false";

in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00InstallRecommends. Timestamp on the file on the currently booted installation is 366 days old, same as on the previous one or two booted (timestamp not noticed on the first two or three).

All my Jessie installations were made via HTTP, started from Grub, including the following on the cmdline:

	...tasks=standard base-installer/install-recommends=false...

What a "default" Debian installation includes or not I may never have seen, at least not since my first, Etch, as all since, and maybe Etch too, have been installed in same manner.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/