Re: Cannot apt-add repository

On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 05:27:49PM +0000, Rasku, Stephen (GE Digital) wrote:
> So, what is the best practice to get the latest (or at least newer) version
> of git?  Compile from source?  I want to use some of the `git bisect`
> features that were introduced in 2.7.

I don't know about git specifically, but in the general case:

1) See if the software is already packaged in your release of Debian.

2) If your release is stable and it doesn't have the version you want,
   see if there is already a backport available in your release's
   -backports repository.

3) If there isn't a backport already available, try to make one.  (Or
   ask the Universal Debian Database whether it's known to be impossible
   to do so.)

4) If a backport can't be made because of build-dependencies, just build
   from the upstream source tarball.

git has some pretty wicked build dependencies (including subversion --
really?), and no current jessie-backports version, so you might be
looking at an upstream tarball.  I haven't tried it myself.

What is NOT on the list is "use some other operating system's package
repositories".  Never do that!