Re: Canon printer minor quibble

On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 02:28:30PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Sat 01 Oct 2016 at 08:34:34 +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:
>
> > Libtiff4 is a little bit more interesting. "aptitude why" says that it
> > is installed because the Canon printer driver needs it (by the way
> > libjpeg8 did *not* say that the Canon printer driver needed it) and
> > nothing else. So I'm less sure about what it was doing on my system
> > before this. But, happily, it was there.
>
> The Canon printer driver does not depend on libjpeg8. It is libtiff4
> which does.

Right, I get that (although I see why my reply might imply I didn't),
but "aptitude why" is not acknowledging that dependency, which
interested me... I guess it omits dependencies from things that are
themselves automatically installed, perhaps?

> Regarding the darker colors with the Gutenprint driver: does setting
> Color Model to CMYK make any difference?

Out of curiosity I tried that last night. Actually more accurately I
tried CMY, not CMYK. It made no difference. What is the K of CMYK? Cyan,
Magenta, Yellow, Kick-Ass??? Is there any reason I should expect CMYK to
do better than CMY or RGB?

Mark